Thursday, January 17, 2013

One Year Ago Today










I left Flagstaff and arrived at Furnace Creek, setting the stage for one of the most nightmarish (a word I began using there) times in more than a few people's lives. A few months before that I left Bend, Oregon; Bend was another place of downright bizarre horror. About a month ago I left Toronto, maybe never to return. And now I'm in Buffalo, NY. A city like almost like a whale fall, or perhaps more like rotting of a land animal, a city in a carcass. The city's population peaked around 1950 and then began a steep decline with industry moving or closing. The city is full of vacants, and poverty (especially along racial lines). I heard a man yelling at a woman at 5am telling her it was time to go home and that she loved crack more than him and that he understood, he loved crack too, but it was time to go home and robbing some white boy for a fiver wasn't going to do shit. I hear loud Chah Dudes screaming, always someone yelling, or large busses or trucks or cars. 

P.S.: I never meant for this blog to be used as a place for photos of no consequence or substance, I meant it to be a place for short fiction of no consequence or substance. Apologies, apologies.

No comments: